Sunday, December 18, 2011

1 year update

Okay... so I think it's about time I did the 1 year update on Ellie. Ha ha. She turned 1 on November 30th, and we had a nice birthday party for her with family and friends on December 4th. It was nice to have everyone there, and a lot of people helped out with the food so it didn't take too much work to prepare for it. I made Bulgogi and teriyaki chicken, and my friend Moa brought shrimp noodle salad, Kyra brought broccoli salad, Joe's mom brought the cake, and my mom's friends two Sister Kim's made potato pancakes and red bean bread. Joe, Chloe, and Dan helped me make a balloon arch to decorate the birthday table with, and we also had a slideshow going in the background of pictures of her growing up and also of her 1-year pictures I had a chance to take


All in all, we had a great party with great company. Well, now moving on to how she's doing.

She's a chatter box. She can say a few words already. Her favorite word is 밥 (Bop), which means food. She can also say 물 (moole), meaning water, but she actually says it more like "boo." She can sometimes say 엄마 (mom) and Daddy. She also likes to try to follow and repeat what we say, especially what Alden says. She can also sign "all done," "more," "please," "I love you," "hello," "yes," and "no." She loves to point at things, and she can really express what she wants and she doesn't want. She loves to eat, and she poops like four times a day too. I don't know why she's not bigger. Ha ha ha. She loves to smile at people, and she knows how to act "cute" so that everyone goes "aw......." with a slight head tilt and a smile.

She's very competitive, and she doesn't like to lose to her brother. She also get very jealous (i think typical of a girl), and if Al acts like a baby and cuddles up to me, she crawls over, yells at him, and tries to push him off. (She's pretty good with other kids though). She loves babies, and whenever she sees babies, she point at them and likes to get close and touch thier faces/heads. Unlike Al, she never took to a binky, but she loves her blankets. She doesn't just have one blanket she likes, but she loves a particular fabric type (the receiving blankets). I guess I used to carry around a blanket too when I was little (something I had no idea i did) but my parents keep saying she looks like me and also takes after me.

She's also very smart. When I teach her a sign language, she remembers to use it only after a couple times, and she remembers how to use a toy after we try playing with it once. She also loves it when Alden plays games (wii or nintendo), and one day, I discovered her pointing and shaking the wii remote AT the TV. Ha ha. We also have the super nintendo upstairs next to the TV, and when she wants to play, she turns on the TV, grabs the controller, and sits down facing the TV and starts pushing the buttons. So far, she hasn't figured out how to turn on the Super Nintendo yet, but I've also seen her with her hand on the "on" button, so it probably wouldn't be too long before she figures that out... Ha ha. My guess is she's gonna be better at games than Al is by the time she's Al's age. She also loves the laptop and anything electronic (cell phones, etc.). We're planning to teach her how to program later (it'd make a good stay home mom job).

She's has a very mild personality. We love putting her to bed. When she seems tired, we just ask her if she's tired and if she wants to go to sleep. She just nods her head, and after brushing her teeth and changing her, we just put her in her bed with her blanket, say good night, and leave the room. Then she just lies there and puts herself to sleep. When she wakes up, she rarely cries (only when she is woken up), and she just sits in her bed and waits for us to come and get her.

We just love our baby girl, and can't wait for her to develop more fun skills and personality.

1 comment:

Laura said...

We love you Elli, Happy Birthday!