Monday, April 23, 2012

We admit, we have pretty cool kids...

Okay.. I spent like 40 minutes last night typing up this post on the iPad, and @#(*$@# anyway... it all got deleted.. so here we go again... (safely on the laptop).

Everyday, Joe and I talk about how blessed we are to have such awesome kids. Alden and Ellie are so great to each other and to others around them. We are so grateful that we have the honor and the opportunity to be their parents. They are pretty neat kids, and I wanted to write some things that they do/did before I forgot.

The other night, we read the story of Daniel in the lion's den as part of our scripture study. We talked about how the lions didn't bite Daniel because God was protecting him. The next morning, we were eating cereal, and there was a picture of a great white shark on the back of the cereal box. I pretended to be scared and talked about how the shark could bite people. Alden said, "엄마 괜찮아. Shark 안먹어요. 하나님이 보호해주니까. (It's okay mommy. The shark won't eat us because God will protect us.)" I was so surprised that what we talked about scripture studies actually stuck with Al.

Speaking of scripture studies, last Christmas season, we watched the series of New Testament videos that the Church produced as a part of FHE lessons every week. They are about 2-3 minutes long. The kids seemed really bored and didn't seem to pay any attention to it. One day, Alden was playing with Ellie's blanket, and he pulled it over his head like a shawl and said, "유선이 Jesus 엄마야. (Alden is Jesus's mom.)" That was another time we were so surprised that he had paid attention during FHE lessons. (Another time, he drew an oval inside another oval and told me it was Baby Jesus).

Yesterday morning, Joe went home teaching, and his home teachees told him about how impressed they were with Alden when they went to substitute for his Sumbeam class. They had a lesson on being grateful for water and fish. They were playing a fish game, and Alden made sure that each of the teacher got a turn even though he was the only student. Joe was talking about how proud he was and that he understood a little bit of when his dad would talk about him being proud of his kids when other people would compliment his children.

Last Saturday, we had a huge garage sale (saved for another post). We had the baby sitters come for three hours, and my friend, Kyra's mom visited and gave Alden twenty dollars. When the garage sale ended and I finally saw Al a couple hours later, he was still holding the twenty dollar bill in his hands. I told him he could put it in his pocket. Later that day, I traded his twenty dollar bill with one 10 dollar bill, one 5 dollar bill, and five 1 dollar bill so he could pay tithing the next day. We put all of his money in an envelop and Al wrote his name on it. Next morning, we got his tithing ready, and Ellie kept pulling on Al's envelop and wanted to play with it. So I gave her another envelop with her name on it. Alden saw that Ellie didn't have any money in her envelop, and he actually gave her his 5 dollar bill! I was so surprised and impressed that he was so willing to share with his little sister, especially after we talked about how he could spend his money on treats and buying presents for himself. I was so proud of him.

Actually this morning, Ellie wanted to eat some Krispy Kreme donuts after breakfast. We only had two left, so I gave her one, and Al said he'd eat his later. And of course, when he started eating his donut later, Ellie wanted more. I was prepared for a war, and Alden shared his donut with his little sister. :D


Now to Ellie...

She's been getting more and more talkative (although most of her words are still unrecognizable). She is starting to say more words and is willing to repeat after me when I try to teach her how to say things. So lately, we've been having her take turns saying the night time prayers. She repeats after every single word (even if they don't sound alike at all), and confidently says "Ah~~~ Men!" at the end. She's still having a hard time focusing during long prayers, but she knows to put her hands together and sit up straight (at least when we start the prayer).

Since Ellie's not in nursery yet, we spend a lot of our Sundays walking around the halls during Church. We look at the paintings on the wall, and they are mostly of Jesus. She likes to point out Jesus in the paintings, and actually started saying "Jesus" last Sunday. :D

Ellie is so good at sharing (most things). Whenever she eats something, she makes sure that other people get a bite too. If I give her a fork, she will actually walk around and give Al, Joe, and I a bite after each bite she gets. My mom always complains that she's gaining weight because of Ellie since Ellie's always trying to get my mom to eat whenever she eats. A lot of times, she won't take a bite if other people haven't gotten a turn yet.

Ellie is really patient, too. Alden likes to tease her a lot (being a brother), but she is really patient with him and puts up with him when he takes things for fun and bumps and knocks her down on purpose. She knows to take things lightly (when she's not super tired), and sometimes teases Al back too.

Anyway... we are really grateful that Alden and Ellie are our kids. We can't wait to find out what our next one will be like. (Supposed to be the best because he'll be our third child... lol)



1 comment:

Laura said...

You guys definitely have great kids (and smart too!)