Friday, June 22, 2012

Moving?

A lot has happened since my last post. We've moved twice already, and I've been really lousy at keeping a record of everything. I'll try to write as much as I remember for future references... :P

Our move out date from my mom's house was June 9th. We started packing stuff weeks in advance, buying boxes from Walmart and organizing things to decide what to keep and what to throw away. We packed away most books weeks ago (10+ boxes of just books!), and I started going through clothes and made a DI pile. The garage sale we had was a part of our moving preparations. As the date came closer and closer, I really had to get on with packing up stuff and cleaning out closets. It was really difficult to do with the kids running around and asking me to play with them (not to mention being 8 months pregnant), so the process was really slow. Most days, I just had to wait till Joe got home from work, put the kids to bed, and started working on organizing and packing. There were a lot of nights when Joe and I'd stay up till past 1am packing things. I considered it a real success if I could pack 2 or 3 boxes each day.

The last week of moving came really fast, and since Joe wasn't home to help me during the day, I had a baby sitter come everyday for 2 hours at a time to play with the kids so I could do some packing and cleaning. It really didn't help that we were also house hunting at the same time, and I had to spend a lot of the hours looking at houses and meeting with my agent. :S Anyway, reglardless of how ready we were, the move out day still came upon us, and we had to move.

Since we couldn't find a home for us in time, we had to move all of our stuff to my sister's garage in Eagle Mountain. Two of my cousins, Jonanthan (my brother-in-law), and people from elder's quorum came to help. Joe's mom came in the morning to take the kids to Yeagi's house so they wouldn't be around while we moved stuff out, and my mom and I coordinated and directed people as they loaded the truck. Uhaul suggested that the 20 foot truck would be large enough to pack everything in a house with three bedrooms, and I thought the truck would be big enough.

Well, the truck wasn't quite big enough for all the stuff that my mom couldn't part with (and had to give to me to take). She insisted on me taking a lot of her stuff since she wouldn't be able to take most things to Chicago and that I would NEED all of that if I moved to a house of my own. Anyway, the men had to do a zigsaw puzzle with all the boxes and the stuff to fit everything in the truck, and it looked like we weren't going to make it. Brother Ianziti from the ward generously offered to take some stuff in the back of his pick-up (thank goodness), so we were able to fit most things except for a small carload that we were able to come back for later that day with our Kia.

We spent the rest of the day unloading the stuff into Yeagi's garage, taking more stuff to the dumpster and the DI, and returning the truck. It was so much work, and everyone was so tired (espeically Joe, my mom, and me) and dying at the end of the day. It just breaks my heart to think that we have to do it all over again when we find a house later. :S

Night before the move

Last night at the house

No comments: