Monday, April 27, 2009

We're still alive!

Sorry, I haven't been really keeping up with the blog lately... A lot of things have happened, I guess. First of all, we moved. Joe and I were trying to get people to sublease our apartment so that we wouldn't have to move everything out, mainly the furniture, but we couldn't find any people in time. At Wymount Terrace, if you don't submit your 60 day notice, you are responsible for the rent for those 60 days. Well, we hadn't put in our notice because we were hoping to find people to live in our apartment for the summer, so we were in a tough position. We didn't think we could afford to pay two months' rent. Well, one of our neighbors had shown interest in moving into our apartment before, so we were hoping that they'd move into our apartment. They would be "transferring" apartments, and would not have to pay the penalty for moving and leaving their apartment empty, and we wouldn't have to worry about our apartment anymore!

So they came to look at our apartment, and being the nice person I am, I let them use our tape measure to measure the rooms, etc. They were excited to have the extra storage room and a larger pantry, and they went home, trying to figure out how to arrange their furniture in the new apartment. Well, 10 minutes later, they called us and told us that they decided not to move in after all. In turns out, after measuring the dimentions of the apartments, they figured out that the rooms were the same size, and the only difference in the two apartments were that we had an extra storage room. I guess that wasn't enough to have to move everything. Well, that night, I had an almost-anxiety attack and couldn't sleep so I turned and tossed about in bed all night.

So in the morning, I asked Joe to call our neighbors again and beg them to move into our apartment. He talked to our neighbors and told them about the penalty we'd have to pay the rent for the 60 days. Well, after discussing with each other for like 5 seconds, they told us that they would move in! I was so happy and excited and thankful. Anyway, they wanted to move in the next Monday before school started on Tuesday for them. That would mean that we had to move out that same day or the next day (Monday the week before) in order to give enough time to give Wymount Terrace inspect and clean the apartment! Well, Joe had to get off work and come home right away, and we called Uhaul and some friends up. Alden was feeling sick, so we desparately needed a baby sitter. We had about 4 friends volunteer to help. Well, in a few hours, we had moved most of stuff out of the apartment and into my mom's garage and the pingpong room. Joe and I had to spend that Monday and Tuesday packing, moving, and cleaning. Anyway, we got it done....

Well... We thought everything was going smoothly... But.... As we were trying to put in our move-out notice online, we noticed that our move out date was set to September 1!!! So the website wouldn't let us change it to an earlier date... Joe had to make phone calls after calls to try to resolve the issue. It took days to fix the problem, and by the end of the weekend, they told us that the apartment could only be available to move on Wednesday! I felt horrible that our friends would have to go through so much inconvenience. But then, Joe got another call from the Wymount Office. Apparently, there was a couple that were leaving Wymount to go on an internship or something, and had put in their move-out notice. Their apartment was already taken by another family, and they were getting ready to move out. Well, they found out that they were pregnant, and changed their plans. I guess they called the Wymount Office and asked if there were any apartments for them to move in, and the office remembered our apartment and had called us. Anyway, we let them move in, and so our nice friends no longer have to move anymore.

Anyway... While all that was going on, lots of other things were going on as well. Alden had gotten sick for the first time, with fever, runny nose, and coughs. Luckily, it wasn't too bad, and he never really had bad congestion, so he didn't have too much of a hard time eating or sleeping. I was also suffering from light cold symptoms like dry throat, and Joe was suffering from allergic reaction to a new cat my family got last week. Besides, we had no time to properly pack and move, so i had to go through all the boxes and reorganize everything....

We are still trying to get ready to go to Korea. We already sent 50 pounds of gifts with my cousin that left last week. Lol. We also figured out that Alden had been teething this whole time. I felt a tooth on the top (one next to the right incisor) a couple days ago, and this morning, I felt more on the bottom, and saw three coming in! It's so exciting. He's also improved much with his eating skills, like picking up food and feeding himself. He really likes to eat peas, and he's really really good at eating cheerios. He can do a lot of tricks with cheerios like flipping them in his hands like coins or passing it back and forth between hands. And like all boys, he's found pleasure in violence, he gets the biggest "kicks" out of kicking daddy and having him get knocked off. He's also learning how to flip the lights on and off, and he really likes to get his grape flavored vitamin drops. He also figured out that grandma gives him whatever he wants, so now she's his favorite person in the whole wide world.

Well, enough said, I will post pictures soon. Thanks for your patience!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Oh man! I had no idea you guys were having such stress! I'm glad everything is going better now and you got your apartment rented. Let us know if you need any more help. I am home all the time and Tom has his last two finals today and won't start May semester for another week. Good luck!