Alden surprises everyday with new vocabulary and phrases. It's so fun to see him learn how to speak and express himself now. He doesn't whine too much anymore since he can tell us what he wants (although we have to remind him to ask for things more politely than he usually does). Potty training has been going okay. He went two full days without wetting himself, but today pooped in the pants once and peed his pants towice in a two hours period. Last couple days, he's done really good with peeing in the toilet, but he hasn't been able to go poop in the toilet. He'll hold his butt like he'd want to go, and when I ask him if he wants to go, he'll say yes, but as soon as i put him on the toilet, he says, "All done! No poo poo!" My guess is that he's gotten too used to peeing in the toilet (quick and easy) that he doesn't really want to work for the poop. So he just gives up instantly. Well, i guess he couldn't hold it anymore, and he came to tell me that he wanted to go to the bathroom only to leave me to discover the poop in his underwear. :( But in the last week, he's made a big progress, I think he'll get it soon. (By the way, he calls pee pee, "Yellow 쉬 (pee in Korean)."
Because of the potty training, i haven't been able to really get out of the house to do anything or had time to teach him any new things. He's been spending an awful lot of time on the iPad, and has mastered Angry Birds. It's actually quite impressive to watch him play. He can shoot the birds and correct his aim if they fly too far or close. He's also gotten really good at memory games and mazes.
We've recently been trying to get him to speak more Korean. He can understand a lot, but he prefers to speak in English, probably because Joe and i always talk in English, he watches tv in English, and his babysitters and friends speak English. He'll say, "Open, please" in English to me, and I say, "That's what you say to daddy. What do you say to mommy? (in Korean)" Then he says, "Daddy say 'open.'" So I'll say, "So what should you say to mommy?" Then he says, "열어주세요." A lot of times, I have to remind him what to say, but he's getting better at saying things in Korean to me because he understands now that I'm willing to do things for him if he asks me in Korean.
He still loves reading/watching Green Eggs and Ham. Whenever he's eating something good, he'll offer it to me and say, "Do you like ***?" "Could you, could you, in a car?" If I ask him, "Do you like green eggs and ham?" He answers, "No. I do not green eggs and ham." "Would you like them in a house? With a mouse?" "No. Not house. Not mouse."
Ellie's made a lot of progress too. Now she just does not like to be lying down. So I usually put her in an exersaucer, which she loves to play in. Alden loves to peek-a-boo her when she's sitting there, and he teaches her how to play with the toys on the exersaucer. She is now tall enough to actually be able to stand up on it instead of hang down from the seat. She loves to smile at people, and she's started to squeal a little bit. She is turning 6 months old in a couple days, and I've started on some real foods. She's had some fruit (just the juice from grapes, oranges, and watermelon), and she loves eating cheerios. She'll literally be crying one minute and just stop and do a content sigh the next minute if she gets a cheerio in her mouth. Alden's good at sharing them with her. She can't pick them up and feed herself yet (which Alden has fully capable of at her age) but she's getting better at recognizing real food and will grab your had and pull towards her mouth if she spots a cheerio.
She has turned over a couple times but unfortunately she doesn't really lie down anymore, so I don't know how she's going to practice that... But she's getting really good at tummy time and be on her tummy for extended periods of time. Her legs are also very strong and she tries to stand if we hold her up.
If we can catch her at a good time, she can be put down and will go to sleep on her own. She loves the sound of a rattle, so i'll just lay her down and make rattling sounds with her toys while she stares. Then she eventually falls asleep. When she is too tired or cranky to fall asleep on her own, I'll put her to sleep then put her down. Sometimes she isn't asleep deeply enough and wakes up and starts to cry, so I'll shake a toy and calm her down and make her fall back asleep (I've only recently discovered this trick, and it's worked most of the time).
We are excited for Ellie to try more foods and Alden to get good at going to the bathroom. Maybe someday, he'll be tall enough to go by himself....


No comments:
Post a Comment