Oh, so I think I mentioned that we got an iPad. W got it as a treat for not being able to go to disneyland, and we've been excited at the prospect of what it could do for us. One of the plans I had for the iPad was to use it to motivate Alden to use to toilet since he didn't seem to be motivated enough by other things we have used, starting with compliments, candy, ice cream, even the chance to play the wii.
After letting him play on the iPad for a couple days, we told him that he could now only use it while he was sitting on the potty. And that started our on-going journey of potty training. After we got back from our vacation, I started trying t get him to sit on the toilet more. For the first few days, I'd get lucky and get him to sit on the toilet once or twice a day. He wouldn't pee right away, however, and I'd have to hang out in the bathroom with him for a long time before he eventually couldn't hold anymore. But with the help of the iPad, Alden was more open to the idea of sitting on the toilet, something that he'd hated before and run away from.
On the fourth night, we were doing our routine sitting session, and i was explaining to Alden that since he is a big boy now, he has to go in the toilet and not use the diaper anymore. Surprisingly, he asked to put on an underwear instead of a diaper. It was right before bedtime, and we were nervous that we would have to sound the whole night changing him and fighting with him. On the other hand, we were hopeful that this would be the beginning of him being out of diapers. Joe put a mattress cover on alden's bed, and we put him away for the night. At 5 in the morning, Ellie woke up to eat, and after feeding her, I checked on al to see if he was wet. And he was DRY!
Usually, in the morning, after Alden wakes up, he calls out for me. I usually sleep in longer and go into get him when I start to feel a little guilty or if I think alden's gonna wake Ellie up. But that morning, I rushed in as soon as he woke up. Gave him a quick hug, made sure he was still dry, and took him to the bathroom. He peed right away! We were so excited and Alden got to play on the iPad. Well, I guess I was too hopeful, because the rest of the morning was spent changing his clothes, forcing him to sit in the toilet, encouraging, coercing, and even threatening him to get him to go in the toilet, not to mention the soiled underwear I had to hand wash before I put it in the washer. He did go twice in the toilet that afternoon, but by the evening, I was so exhausted and was on the verge of giving up. Joe picked up BYU creamery ice cream to cheer me up, and we got Alden to pee in the toilet again after waiting for 2 hours before putting him to bed.
We had another dry night, and he peed again, right away, in the toilet after he woke up. About 2 hours later, I got him to pee in the toilet again. I was so excited that the day was starting out so much better than the day before. However, I was mistaken. I had to change him three times, one of them being another soiled one. And I did get him to pee again in the toilet after having him sit there for another 2 hours. I had the babysitter coming that day for just an hour so I could get a little break (I couldn't handle another day like the day before), and I had to get Alden to pee again before she came so he wouldn't go while playing with her. Well, he refused to pee and I didn't want to let him down when he was so close to going, so he ended up spending the whole time on the toilet and didn't get to play with her at all. And I didn't get to enjoy my break either... I got him down so that he could say bye to her and put him back on the toilet right after she left. Well, he decided to go pee just then, and my patience was wearing thin. I had to get him to pee one more time before bed, so I put him back on around 8:30. We went through the usual routine of encouragement, coercion, threat, promises of treats, etc, and by the time Joe got home at 9:45, he still hadn't gone. We kept going with him, reading him books, telling him stories, even dancing to keep him entertained, but Alden just wouldn't pee. We had to eventually give up and put a diaper on him for the first time in two days (he still asked for the underwear to be put on top of the diaper). I'm sure the diaper was full before he fell asleep but I didn't bother to check because I was so tired.
Yesterday, we had another successful morning pee after he woke up. That morning, he wet his pants a couple times but also went in the toilet a couple times too. After I gave up trying to put him down for a nap, he even asked to go to the bathroom to pee. I could tell that he was feeling more comfortable about peeing in the toilet. I even got Ellie to poop in the toilet! Which got Alden to say, "it's my turn!" That night, Joe and I had to go grocery shopping, so after asking him if he wanted to go pee, he just put a diaper on him and put him to bed.
This morning, he woke up happy, and more importantly, dry, and peed in the toilet. After breakfast, we went to his room to play, I fell asleep on the recliner. Joe got me a blanket before he left to work, and Alden brought me a pillow. About an hour later, al woke me up and said, "poo." I woke right up and asked if he wanted to go potty. He said yes, and I out him on the toilet. He pushed for a coupled times and produced a good size poop! I was so excited that he had actually asked to go use the toilet. He got to play on the iPad for a little bit, and I even gave him a Popsicle because I was so happy. A couple hours later, he came up to me with his legs crossed and said, "pee pee." we ran over to the bathroom, and he peed in the toilet! Another hour passed by and I found him squatting, so I put him on the toilet but he said he wasn't ready, so I let him down. He didn't want to go again before his nap, which he is taking right now, so I put a diaper on him. So far, he hasn't wet his pants yet today, and I am very hopeful that the trend will continue. Hopefully he will be completely diaper free soon.
*Okay, I'm updating this post since both kids are in bed now. Alden woke up from his nap dry, and peed in the toilet right after. After playing with his babysitter, we had dinner, and I suggested that he go pee again. He asked to go to the downstairs bathroom, and did it! So now, he's in bed with a diaper, but hopefully it'll be dry again tomorrow morning!
A few funny things I forgot to mention because I got too intense on writing about the experience... If I put him on the toilet when he's not ready, he says, "No poo. It's gone." and when we get him to try to push, he tries a couple times and says, "I can't do it" or "It's not working." it's so cute!

No comments:
Post a Comment