During college, I used to make this Korean sweet and spicy chicken all the time. I guess I still do too (it's Joe's favorite), and since college, I have made some changes and improvements to the recipe. I've shared the recipe with many friends, and I wanted to share the new and updated recipe with everyone.
I wanted to apologize in advance for the horrible pictures.. Bad lighting in the kitchen, and I was experimenting with some settings on my camera... I'll replace the pictures next time I make the chicken again.
Ingredients:
1 pack - Bonless Skinless Chicken Thigh (mine was 2.5 lbs)
1 Tsp - salt
1/2 Tsp - pepper
2 Tsp - sesame oil
1 Tsp - garlic powder
1 Tsp - curry powder or cumin
1/2 cup - milk
1 Large Egg
1 tsp - baking soda
1/2 tsp - baking powder
4 cups - flour
4 cups - frying oil
Sauce
1 cup - light corn syrup
1/4 cup - Korean hot pepper paste
1/4 cup - ketchup
Step 1
Cut the chicken into bite size pieces. I've found that boneless skinless thigh works the best. Bnls skls breast is too dry, and drnsticks are tricky to fry. Unless you have a deep fryer (I don't), I don't recommend using drumsticks or whole chicken. Plus it takes much less time to just use bnls skls thigh.
Step 2
Season the meat with salt & pepper, garlic powder, sesame oil, curry powder, and milk.
Step 3
In a small bowl, mix the egg with baking soda and baking powder, then mix this in with the chicken.
Step 4
Shake the chicken pieces from excess liquid and put them one batch at a time in a large bowl with flour. Cover the chicken with flour.
Step 5
Prepare the fryling oil. Set the heat at Medium High. Drop a little bit of flour or a small piece of chicken to see if the oil is ready. The oil is ready when the flour mixture sizzles and floats up right away.
Step 6
Put the chicken in the oil once piece at a time, after shaking the excess flour off. Take them out when the chicken turns light golden brown. (The chicken will darken more as it cools so you have to take them out a little early).
Step 7
When all frying is done, prepare the sauce in a separate pan (use a wok or a pot so you can mix easily later). Heat the corn syrup in medium-high heat and add the hot pepper paste and the ketchup. Mix throughly (it'll mix better as it heats up) and let is simmer a little on low heat. If you prefer a really sweet and thick sauce, simmer for a long time, but if you just want a light coat of sauce on the chicken, take it off the heat early and mix in the chicken before it cools down.
Step 8
Coat the chicken with the sauce and enjoy!
Try the recipe and let me know how it went!










1 comment:
I love chicken thighs! I'm definitely going to make this soon :) THanks!!
Post a Comment