Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Healthy sleep habits, happy baby

Joe's co-worker Nick recommended this book to him. We've always had problems with Alden's sleeping patterns, and we've also had so many problems w/ him refusing to take naps and being so cranky all the time. I have not yet had the time to read the book yet, but Joe sped read through the book and shared some main ideas that the book has.

1. Kids need a lot more sleep than we think they do.
2. Kids need to go to sleep a lot earlier than we think they do.
3. When kids get enough sleep, they should not be cranky.

We have not really put any specific things that the book recommends into practice (like enforcing a strict bedtime routine and shutting him in his bedroom), but we have realized that our children need a lot more sleep than we thought.

For example, Alden didn't used to go to sleep until 11pm or midnight and would wake up at 8 in the morning and be up all day because he hates taking naps. But then throughout the day, he'd be so cranky and miserable that we wondered his personality was that cranky. Another example is Ellie. In just less than 2 hours since she ate last, she'd cry and cry, and we couldn't figure out why she would be crying. She'd suck on her hand, and I would try to feed her, only to fail and end up frustrating me and her both.

Well, after reading the book, we found out that a 4 month old baby like Ellie shouldn't be up for more than 2 hours at a time... And we also found out that Alden should be going to bed as early as 7pm and should be taking a 1-2 hour nap everyday!

So we have been trying to be consistent in giving Ellie enough sleep time, as well as putting Alden to sleep early everyday. I've also tried to get Alden to take a nap everyday, and it works! Alden is a happy child (well, happier) and Ellie does sleep when we put her back after 2 hours of being awake. :D  Alden loves playing and refuses to take naps because he doesn't want to miss out on anything (kinda like me), so I've been having him push the nap button on our alarm clock (yes, we have a nap button), and told him that we need to lie down on the bed and not get up until the clock goes, "Beep, beep, beep!" He doesn't mind lying on the bed with Ellie and me, so he's been taking a nap during the day for the last couple days. I usually fall asleep before he does, but wake up before he does, so I get to enjoy a quiet few minutes before he wakes back up. (In fact, he's taking a nap right now). But Ellie woke up just a minute ago, so I gotta run!

1 comment:

Laura said...

That's awesome. I recently started Sophie on an earlier bedtime since she won't take naps either and she goes just fine.