I consider birthdays to be pretty important. I want to make the person feel special, and If anything, it's a good excuse to plan a party. :) If you knew in college when I was single, you would know how much I love parties. I would always host potluck parties, movie nights, activities like haunted houses or laser tag. Anyway, now that I have kids, I spend most party planning focused on their birthday parties.
Joe always complains, "I only got like once birthday party growing up, so why should the kids get a party every year?" Well, I remember a lot of parties that happened on my birthday, and they are pretty good memories. I would like to do the same for my kids.
Last year for Al's birthday, we had a Mario theme. I stayed up all night making mushroom cupcakes and Mario cake and star shaped cookies. Al had a Mario shirt (I sewed on blue fabric in the shape of overalls on a red shirt) with a 3 sewed on the front, and we went to the Kangaroo Zoo after the party at home.
This year, he said he wanted an Oreo ice cream cake. I called around Coldstone, Dairy Queen, and Baskin Robbins to see how much they were, and the cheapest on was $25 and was too small to feed everyone that would be coming to the party. I found one at Walmart for $15, and Joe said that was still too expensive. He said, "With that money, we could buy a whole tub size ice cream. Why don't we just put candles in the tub of ice cream?"
With that, I had an idea of making an Oreo ice cream cake, relatively easily. I decided to make several ice cream cupcakes, and arrange them into a shape of a cake. I got some whipped cream, Oreos, and ice cream. All of that ended up costing about $15, but we had lots of left over cookies and ice cream, so I guess we can't complain...
For Al's party, we decided to go to Cornbelly's. We were planning a trip there with Sophie and her family anyway, so we invited everyone else in the family to come with us. Joe's dad, Faye, John, Tom and Laura and their kids, and Jamie and Sam were all able to make it. The kids were sooooo excited about it, that was all Al could talk about for a few days. He even made his own "corn maze" during dinner one night!
Sophie and Al were so excited to lead the company. They ran up ahead and kept saying, "I think it's this way... We came from there so we have to go this way... This way is blocked!"
Half way though, however, I heard Al say, "I don't like this anymore. Let's go back." ha ha. Thank goodness we didn't have to back track. We finished the maze in just under an hour, and considering we had four year olds lead us, I think we did pretty well...
After the maze, we went around to play with other attractions they had, and the kids had a blast, and the adults had fun watching them (and some adults also enjoyed jumping on the jumping pillow...).
We came home for pizza and ice cream, and before I knew it, the boys (the adult boys) had pulled out the Nintendo 64. I guess that was expected because Jonathan Broadwell, Jonathan Rigby, and Tom could not stop talking about games all night... We started a Golden Eye tournament, and the night turned into a party for the adults (the kids had fun watching but it was way past their bYed time and they were all so tired).
Everyone had turns playing, and the most exciting game has got to be the one between Joe's dad and my sister Yeagi. Neither of them had played the game before, and they don't usually play games anyway, so it was a really close game. They picked it up pretty quickly but at about the same pace, so everyone in the room was so nervous watching them try to kill each other. It finally came down to the last kill (4:4), and Yeagi ended up winning (Jonathan B was so proud of his wife, he was jumping up and down).
Alden really enjoyed the party, and he is still excited about his real birthday and turning 4 years old. Today, we went to Jump On It for the last time (at least for free) since he will need to pay starting tomorrow. Al and Ellie had so much fun, and they went to sleep excited about another fun day tomorrow. Everyone is starting to come down with something, so hopefully he doesn't feel miserable tomorrow.














No comments:
Post a Comment