Monday, October 15, 2012
Testimonies
Yesterday during sacrament, Alden kept asking what was next. We had a lot of sustainings and a baby blessing, so I guess he was just wondering when it was going to be over...
He asked the question again when the young men were going around with the water, so I told him that after that, people were going to go up and bear their testimonies, talk about how much they love Jesus, etc. Just for fun, I asked Al if he would like to do that too, and to my surprise, he said yes!
I kept asking him, over and over, just to make sure that he wasn't just saying yes. I wanted to make sure that he understood what he was about to do, standing in front of all the people and speaking into the microphone. He was pretty sure he wanted to go up, so we discussed what he would say. After deciding what to say, I asked Ellie if she would want to come with us too because I was pretty sure she would freak out if I went up with Al and left her there. She said she wanted to come too!
Well, I was getting more nervous than the kids because I knew I would have to bear my testimony too if I went up there with them, and I hadn't done that in a long, long time... But worrying about the kids and trying to talk to Al (maybe secretly hoping he'd change his mind), I didn't have much time to think about what to say.
Anyway, we went up there, and Al's testimony went something like this.
"I love Heavenly Father. I love Jesus. I love my family. When I get scared, I can say a prayer and not be scared. And I have a picture of Jesus in my room to help me not get scared. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
Ellie's testimony was, "I love Jesus."
Then it was my turn, and I didn't know what to say, so I said something like, it's great to have kids old enough to want to bear their testimonies so I have to too. Anyway, after I came back down, I realized it wasn't much of a testimony. I remember, a few years ago, an apostle (I don't remember who it was) recommended sharing our testimonies with our closest people, our families, and not just to the ward members when convenient, on a fast Sunday. So I would like to share some thoughts here, things that I didn't get to share yesterday.
When President Monson announced that the women can now go on missions at age 19, Joe and I joked about how I could've gone on a mission too. I had always thought about going on a mission, but had not really set specific plans for it. I had medical school in the future, but both my brother and sister had served, so I thought it might be good to go. When I shared the thought with Joe (we were dating at the moment), he said something to the effect of not being able to wait for me. (He says he was joking now, but I'm sure he meant it...) I stayed, got married, and had kids.
Sometimes, I think it would've been wonderful to go, build my testimony, teach people, etc. but now I know that that wasn't for me. I'm grateful to have married this wonderful guy, I am grateful that I was able to finish my education, and most of all, I'm grateful to have these wonderful children who are such great examples to ME and inspire me to become better. My life couldn't have turned out better, and I love where we are in our lives now. Joe and I have no worries, and we are so blessed to have a house, a job, and a wonderful family.
I am grateful to have this true gospel in my life and to be able to be with my wonderful family for eternity. People say things like, "I would give anything to be with my loved ones." Well, I know what I've got to do to accomplish that, so I'm going to keep it up and be the best I can. Thank you for all of your great examples to me! I love you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment