Monday, May 18, 2009

FHE and the war with mosquitoes

Last week, while Gomo (my aunt) and Joe were having their English sessions, Gomo asked what his hobbies are. He told her he liked to play ping pong, and Gomo got really excited. Apparently, she's really into pingpong. So we decided we would play pingpong as an activity for this week's FHE. Usually, in my Gomo's family, everyone has dinner at different times. I've been trying to encourage everyone to eat together, but it's been so hard with everyone's busy schedule. My Gomobu (my uncle) has different schedule everyday, and so does Gomo. My oldest cousin, Kangnam, goes to an English school that's about an hour away, and doesn't come home until 10 pm. My second oldest cousin, Euna, has school until 10 pm, and sometimes stays longer to study. And the youngest cousin, Donghyuck, comes home around 4 pm so he's pretty much the only one we have dinner with everyday. But yesterday, Kangnam decided to skip her classes yesterday, and everyone was there for dinner except Euna. It was fun to have dinner with everyone, especially because everyone liked the food I made for dinner. :) Then we were trying to decide what activity we should do for FHE. We thought we could either play pingpong or let the boys play Starcraft (Gomobu plays too) and have the girls watch. We decided to go play pingpong since we don't always have everyone around (except Euna). We went to a pingpong school close by (Yes, it's a pingpong school. We are truly in Korea), and played several games. It was so much fun! Gomo KILLED everyone! Ha ha. I didn't even dare play her. To finish off, we played Around the World. I guess they don't have this game in Korea, but everyone liked the game, and we had a lot of fun. Gomo said they haven't been having FHE for years. Hopefully we could keep this up and even after we leave.

(Sorry. Still no pictures...)

So two nights ago, I woke up with itchy spots on my arms. I immediately remembered the vicious mosquitoes in Korea that I had forgot about. I had already scratched my arms in sleep, and the bites were swollen up pretty badly. They were so itchy that I couldn't go back to sleep, so I had to use some of Alden's hydrocortisone to go back to sleep. So last night, Gomo gave me some bug spray to kill those mosquitoes with. She said they'll probably be back tonight unless I kill them first. Well, I must have not done a very good job spraying because they did come back. I woke up because Alden had woken up but I realized I had be bitten by mosquitoes already. I moved Alden to our bed with us and started feeding him. The mosquitoes kept coming back and buzzing in my ears. I tried to ignore them but I couldn't after several minutes of trying to fall asleep. I finally got up, and turned on the lights. And that was the beginning of the war with the moquitoes. To tell you the results first, I lost to them 6:2. After turning on the lights, I tried to find those mosquitoes in vain. So I just sat still until they came to me. One of them came back, in hopes of biting me. I realized that I had lost the touch of capturing the mosquitoes while being in Utah for 8 years. Finally, I caught one against the blanket. But I noticed that this one didn't have any blood in it! That meant that there was at least one more that had been biting me all night long. Trying to keep the boys safe from those evil mosqitoes, I kept waving my arms around their exposed arms and faces. (Actually my mere presence would've done the job since the mosquitoes only bite me whenever we sleep together) Finally, I saw another one flying towards our clothes. I noticed that it was much more plump than the first one and also had dull movements from being full. After a few failed attemptes, I finally caught it. It was disgustingly full with my blood. I could finally sleep in peace but I still had to admit my defeat since I only killed two and they got me six times.... I'm going to use the mosquito net starting tonight so I never have to do this again...

No comments: