Monday, May 11, 2009

Hyundai Heavy Industries

Yesterday was Joe's first day at Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI). Alden and I decided to go with him to work the first day to practice taking the bus to work with Joe. We met with Mr. Jang Jung Woo, the Human Resources guy, at the door since the securities were very strict. They were checking IDs of every single person going in. Alden and I had planned to go back home after dropping off Joe at work, but Mr. Jang asked if we wanted to join in for the tour of the work site. Joe had to first go and register and meet his boss and his boss, etc., so we waited outside of the compounds at a nearby Starbucks. (Well, it didn't open until 9 am so I waited outside most of the time). Alden and I met a Scottish man at the store who works for the shipyard. I thought it was funny that he was the first person (a foreigner) to walk into Starbucks, well, and plus us, and the only people to be there early in the morming.



Anyway, Mr. Jang and Joe came back to pick us up and we drove to the compounds. It was only about 20 yards away, but according to Mr. Jang, the securities are very strict and the only way I could enter the compounds was to be in the back of the car. lol. We watched a promotional movie on HHI, which was very touching, and also walked through a memorial hall for the founder of the company and the company itself. I was very impressed with what they do and how much they do. They own 30% share of the world's ship building market. We also found out that they build military ships such as destroyers, etc. (Thus the strict securities, and also the protection of their technology, I think). Mr. Jang told us that their compounds don't even show up on Google Maps.



Below is the Welcome sign they had for Joe.



This is after we watched the movie. Alden kept turning his head right on "3".


A funny story. After dropping Joe off at his office, Mr. Jang was giving me a ride back to the bus stop (the compounds are thousands of square miles big, there was no way I was gonna first, walk back out carrying the baby, plus second, find my own way back). While we were waiting for the green light at the entrance, one of the security guys knocked on the window.

"What were you doing in there? What're you doing with a baby?"

Mr. Jang said, "Oh, we have a new American Intern, we just got back from a tour. This is NOT my wife and baby. She's the American Intern's wife. She looks Korean, but she's actually American." Then he added in English, "Say something!" So I waved to the security guy and said, "Hi." I guess apparently, those guys are supposed to be really scary, and Mr. Jang was afraid he'd be flagged for taking his wife or something inside the compounds. lol. Anyway.. He's a really nice and funny guy. I think Joe's in good hands for the next 10 weeks. :)

1 comment:

Laura said...

Sounds like it should be a great experience for all of you.
My mothers day was great, it was almost like having the day off. How was yours?