Hi, reporting from San Francisco. So... After saying bye to everyone and being more than 2 hours early to our flight, it ends up that our flight is an hour and 45 minutes delayed due to weather in San Francisco. They weren't letting any planes in for over an hour, and having only 2 hour layover made me really really worried. After talking to the customer service guy, we decided to take the risk and just fly over. One person having the same flight canceled, I heard, but I wanted to at least try to make the flight.
The flight itself wasn't too bad. The plane was really small and we didn't have too much leg room but Alden was being so good, and he slept through most of the way over. As soon as the plane landed, we were all ready to get off the plane. We had our bags packed and I had strapped Alden in the baby carrier. There was a half Korean girl and her half black, a quarter Korean, a quarter American son sitting in front of us, and they were also going on the same connecting flight as us. As soon as the door opened, we bolted out and started running to the international terminal. We had no idea which gate we were supposed to go to but we ran towards the general direction. When we were trying to decide which gate to go to in the internation terminal, an a lady stopped us and asked if we were flying Singapore Airlines. She told us that the door has already been closed and that we couldn't get on. She took us back out to the check in area where she rebooked our flights to tomorrow. She said since it was United Airlines that was delayed, we would have to ask them about arrangements. But she mentioned that United rarely provides anyone with accomodations but we still wanted to go talk to them.
Well, let's just say it didn't go too well. They told us that since it was the air traffic control that told them not to fly, it wasn't their fault, and thus they couldn't provide us with accommodations. Oh, well.... After trying to decide what was the best option for us, we decided to look for a hotel nearby. It seemed like most hotels were running at around $70 a night. But we decided to have my brother look online to see if there were any better options. He found a hotel for $42, and when we called them, it was even cheaper! They said their rate was $34 a night! And they even had free internet and shuttle to the airport. Well, it turned out to be a really old motel type place, but hey, it's nice enough and has an IHOP right next door.
Joe and I decided to call this a 24 hour vacation. I got a stake at IHOP for dinner, which didn't really reach my expectations, but I don't think I will be getting any stake in Korea so I was happy. lol. Joe got a monster double burger, and that was really good.
Now that I think back, I think it was really good for us that we missed our flight. We got to have a short vacation in San Francisco (although we are far from downtown), we don't have to worry about hurrying to make the next flight, and Singapore Airlines told us that yesterday, there were no bassinet seats available but there is for today! :D I'm excited for the 12 hour flight, and hopefully Alden will make it through.
I still have to post pictures from before we left but please be patient. I will post them when I get to Korea. The internet's pretty unstable at the hotel.
No comments:
Post a Comment